- Title: With nearly 700,000 coronavirus cases, India is third worst-hit country
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 06, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN MARKET AREA SOUNDBITE (Hindi) SHOPKEEPER, AMIT JAIN, SAYING: "I feel very scared by thinking that the coronavirus cases are rapidly increasingâ€¦ the disease should be contained or if some vaccine comes out then only we will get some relief. I feel very scared by seeing how the disease is spreading so fast." PEOPLE AT MARKET AREA (SOUNDBITE) (English) SENIOR PAEDIATRICIAN, DR RAVI MALLICK, SAYING: "It is a matter of concern that the cases in India are now increasingâ€¦they are increasing by about 20,000 per day. The basic reason for the increase of cases is, of course, the infection is continuing, the second reason is the testing rate in India has also increased, the testing rate has increased to almost 2.5 lakh to 3 lakh per day." NEW DELHI, INDIA (FILE - JUNE 27, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS HEALTH WORKERS WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS TAKING BLOOD SAMPLES HEALTH WORKERS CLOSE OF SYRINGE COLLECTING BLOOD SAMPLE HEALTH WORKERS CLOSE OF SYRINGE IN HEALTH WORKERS' HANDS VARIOUS HEALTH WORKERS WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS TAKING BLOOD SAMPLE FROM CHILD NEW DELHI, INDIA (FILE - JUNE 26, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF MAKESHIFT BEDS AT SPIRITUAL CENTRE-TURNED-COVID-19 CARE CENTRE MEDICS WEARING MASKS BEDS IN CENTRE
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 16:44
- Keywords: Brazil China India New Delhi Russia U.S.A coronavirus doctors hospitals lockdown patients testing
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLO7LFZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India on Monday (July 06) overtook Russia to record the world's third-highest number of coronavirus infections at nearly 700,000, according to the latest data, as the outbreak shows no sign of slowing.
Health ministry data from the world's second-most populous country showed more than 23,000 new cases on Monday, down slightly from Sunday's record increase of almost 25,000. There have been almost 20,000 deaths in India since the first case was detected there in January.
India now trails only the United States and Brazil in the number of COVID-19 cases and it has recorded eight times as many cases as China, where the virus was first identified in late 2019.
But its death rate per 10,000 people is still a low 0.15, compared with 3.97 in the United States and 6.65 in the United Kingdom, according to a Reuters tally. Mainland China stands at 0.03.
New Delhi, along with Maharashtra, home to India's financial capital Mumbai, and the southern state of Tamil Nadu accounts for about 60% of the total coronavirus cases in the country.
Maharashtra - the worst-hit state with nearly 210,000 cases - said it would let hotels outside containment zones reopen at 33% capacity from Wednesday and issued guidelines for staff and guests.
India is also seeing an uptake in cases in states such as Kerala, Karnataka and Assam, which until recently had been relatively unscathed.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None