- Title: Dalai Lama celebrates 85th birthday in India amid tensions with China
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: TIBETAN PRESIDENT IN-EXILE, LOBSANG SANGAY, CUTTING CAKE
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 09:47
- Keywords: China Dalai Lama Dharamsala Galwan Valley India Tibet birthday
- Location: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- City: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003CLO7IA7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama celebrated his 85th birthday via video conferencing with his followers on Monday (July 06) in India's northern hill town of Dharamsala.
The spiritual leader in a video address told his followers that a large scale celebration could not be held on this birthday because of the pandemic. Donning traditional robes and attire, some monks and other selected few joined the celebrations at the main temple Tsuglakhang in Dharamshala.
Dalai Lama also watched messages from global leaders on his birthday from his office.
The Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989. After a rebellion against the Chinese rule in 1959, the spiritual leader had exiled himself in India and has since been living mostly in Himachal Pradesh's Dharamsala. The Nobel laureate's supporters operate a government-in-exile and promote Tibet's autonomy by peaceful means.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None