- Title: Indian devotees throng temples to mark holy month as COVID-19 cases rise
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 06, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DEVOTEES AT BANK OF RIVER GANGA DEVOTEES STANDING IN WATER DEVOTES OUTSIDE TEMPLE SIGNBOARD/VIEW OF TEMPLE VARIOUS OF WORKERS SPRAYING SANITISER POLICEMEN GATHERED VARIOUS OF DEVOTEES WALKING IN QUEUE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEVOTEE, SATYAWAN DWIVEDI, SAYING: "Earlier there used to be a lot of devotees (to worship) and the queue used to be four-to-five kilometres long. This year the queue is very small and is about 100 metres as everybody is worried due to the coronavirus." BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA, INDIA (JULY 06, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF LINGARAJ TEMPLE DOME OF TEMPLE DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS EXTERIOR OF TEMPLE DEVOTEES KNEELING DOWN AND OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEES STANDING BY JOINING HANDS DEVOTEE OFFERING PRAYER (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEVOTEE, GIRDHARI SHARMA, SAYING: "From the last 40 years we used to visit the temple on every Monday in the month of 'Shravan'â€¦ the echo of Lord Shiva chantsâ€¦ the gathering of the devoteesâ€¦ there used to be a wave of devotion. But, today I am shocked and sad because we had never seen or thought of such a situation ever. I am very sad, but I have faith that Lord Shiva will make everything fine and we will get rid of the coronavirus." NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 06, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ENTRY GATE OF TEMPLE DEVOTEES RINGING BELL POSTER READING OUT INFORMATION IN HINDI ABOUT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS FOR COVID-19 DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYER DEVOTEES AT TEMPLE EXTERIOR OF TEMPLE VARIOUS OF 'SHIVA LINGA,' PHALLUS REPRESENTATION OF LORD SHIVA DEVOTEES AT TEMPLE WORKER SPRAYING SANITISER
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 14:34
- Keywords: Bhubaneswar India Lord Shiva New Delhi Odisha Uttar Pradesh Varanasi coronavirus devotees disease lockdown religion social distancing temple worship
- Location: VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH/ BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH/ BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLO7KNJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hindu devouts thronged temples and rivers across India on Monday (July 06) marking the beginning of the holy month of 'Shravan', even as India overtook Russia to become the third-worst COVID-19 affected country in the world.
Hindus worship Lord Shiva during the holy Shravan month. Devotees seek the blessing of Shiva for peace and prosperity of their families by taking dips in holy rivers and offering prayers at temples.
Albeit the crowds were lesser as compared to previous years, the devotees still visited temples of Hindu God of destruction Shiva, in large numbers.
India reported a spike of 24,248 new COVID-19 cases and 425 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total positive cases in the country, currently stand at 697,413 including 253,287 active cases, 424,433 cured and 19,693 deaths.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None