- Title: Hollywood stars Johnny Depp and Amber Heard arrive for day two of libel case
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 8, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ACTRESS AMBER HEARD ARRIVES AT HIGH COURT WITH HER TEAM / HEARD WAVING TO WAITING PHOTOGRAPHERS EXTERIOR OF HIGH COURT
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 09:44
- Keywords: Amber Heard Johnny Depp Newspaper The SUN libel wife beater
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA003CLY96PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hollywood stars Johnny Depp and Amber Heard arrived for the second day of a libel case hearing in London's High Court on Wednesday (July 8).
Depp, the 57-year-old star of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, is suing The Sun newspaper's publisher, News Group Newspapers, and its executive editor, Dan Wootton, for libel over an article Wootton wrote in April 2018 calling him a "wife beater".
On Tuesday (July 7) Depp accused his ex-wife Heard of lying about him beating her up, and told the court she had actually struck him.
The Sun's lawyers said they would show the claim was true and that he had beaten Heard, causing her to fear for her life, during violent rages brought on by alcohol or drugs, sometimes when he had falsely accused her of infidelity.
In a written statement outlining Depp's case, his lawyer David Sherborne said Heard had first aired the abuse allegations in May 2016, saying it was hard to think of "more extreme or violent" claims of abuse than she would make during the trial.
The couple met on the set of the 2011 film "The Rum Diary" and married in February 2015. Heard filed for divorce after 15 months, and days later obtained a restraining order against Depp. Their divorce was finalised in 2017 when the restraining order was dismissed.
The case is set to last for three weeks, the judge, Andrew Nicol, said. Also due to give evidence via videolink are Vanessa Paradis, Depp's former partner, and actress Winona Ryder.
(Production: Michael Fiorentino, Bharati Naik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None