- Title: New interior, ecology ministers take office after French reshuffle
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 7, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) INCOMING INTERIOR MINISTER AND OUTGOING BUDGET MINISTER, GERALD DARMANIN, ARRIVING AT MINISTRY FOR HANDOVER CEREMONY, GREETING OUTGOING INTERIOR MINISTER, CHRISTOPHE CASTANER, AND OTHER JUNIOR MINISTERS, GOING INSIDE POLICEMEN
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 10:41
- Keywords: French government cabinet handovers ministries reshuffle
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLT8MDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ministers at crucial departments in the French coronavirus recovery including finance and ecology officially took office on Tuesday (July 7) after a government reshuffle.
Handover ceremonies at the Interior, Finance and Ecology ministries marked a shake-up of President Emmanuel Macron's cabinet, which started after the appointment of Prime Minister Jean Castex on Friday.
Gerald Darmanin, who served as budget minister in the previous cabinet, took the place of Christophe Castaner at the Interior Ministry, handing his old job to Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire who now runs a beefed-up department.
"My roadmap is clear and it's simple: it will be economic revival in the morning, economic revival at lunchtime, and economic revival in the evening," Le Maire said during a handover ceremony.
Meanwhile, Barbara Pompili took over at the Ecology Ministry from Elisabeth Borne, who will now head up the Labour Ministry. Pompili said environmental policies should be incorporated in the recovery plan.
Macron's reshuffle came days after voters punished his party in local elections, and the president and Castex are putting the focus on tackling the pandemic's social and economic fallout, and the environment.
(Production: Johnny Cotton, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None