- Title: Prominent Iraqi analyst and advisor buried in Najaf after killing
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FUNERAL PROCESSION WITH ORCHESTRA MARCHING IN FRONT AND WITH MEN WEARING FACE MASKS CARRYING COFFIN, FOLLOWED BY SECURITY PERSONNEL AND FEMALE MOURNERS
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 20:15
- Keywords: Assassination Burial Hisham al-Hashemi Iraq Killing Najaf
- Location: NAJAF, IRAQ
- City: NAJAF, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLTAN2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mourners gathered in the Iraqi city of Najaf on Tuesday (July 7) for the funeral of a well-known former government advisor and political analyst who was shot dead a day previously.
Hisham al-Hashemi, who had written about politics, Islamic State and the role of Iran-backed militias in Iraq was killed on Monday (July 6) in a rare high-profile killing in the Iraqi capital, government officials, police sources and medics said.
The funeral procession, accompanied by an orchestra, first marched towards the Imam Ali Shrine and later to the Wadi al-Salam cemetery where the burial took place.
Hashemi, who was well-connected with politicians, activists and paramilitary officials, worked as an advisor to former Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and informally with the government of current Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, a government official said.
Kadhimi issued a statement offering his condolences. Iraq's state paramilitary organisation, which is dominated by Iran-backed groups, called for an investigation of his death.
(Production: Alaa al-Marjani, Charlotte Bruneau, Mohammed Katfan, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.