- Title: Actors Johnny Depp and Amber Heard arrive at court on first day of libel case
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) (PART MUTE) PEOPLE CARRIER PULLING UP/ACTOR JOHNNY DEPP WEARING BLACK FACE MASK GETTING OUT OF CAR/WALKING INTO THE ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE DEPP WALKING IN/SIGN SHOWING SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES DEPP WALKING IN BLACK PEOPLE CARRIER ARRIVING INTO CAR PARK ACTOR AMBER HEARD IN RED FACE MASK WALKING INTO SIDE ENTRANCE OF COURT VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF THE ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE MEDIA OUTSIDE GATHERED SIGN OF ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 10:23
- Keywords: Actors Amber Heard Johnny Depp Royal Courts of Justice The Sun Newspaper court libel case wife beater
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLT98HZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Both Johnny Depp and his ex-partner Amber Heard have arrived for the start of Depp's defamation case against The Sun newspaper over claims that he abused his ex-wife.
Depp arrived at the front of The Royal Courts of Justice in London on Tuesday (July 7) while Heard was seen wearing a red face mask and going in a side entrance for the first day of the civil case.
The 57-year-old star of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, is suing the tabloid's publisher, News Group Newspapers, and its executive editor, Dan Wootton over an article Wootton wrote in 2018 calling Depp a "wife beater".
In June, Judge Andrew Nicol ruled that Depp had not fully complied with a court order by not supplying details of mobile phone texts to his assistant which the Sun's legal team said referred to obtaining drugs for the actor.
The paper's lawyer, Adam Wolanski, argued that the breach meant that the case should be thrown out, but Nicol said on July 2 that would not be just.
Depp married actress Amber Heard in February 2015 but she filed for divorce after just 15 months. She has accused him of physical abuse during their relationship, allegations he denies.
The libel trial is expected to last three weeks and both Depp and Heard are expected to give evidence.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Will Russell, Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None