- Title: Russia's Tretyakov Gallery opens new exhibition after coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JUKY 6, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PAINTING "BREZHNEV AT WORK" BY TAIR SALAKHOV VARIOUS OF MOSAIC "NADIA LEGER" BY YEKATERINA FURTSEVA VISITORS LOOKING AT EXHIBITION SCULPTURES "ICONOSTASIS" BY BORIS ORLOV VISITOR PASSING PAINTINGS VARIOUS OF SCULPTURES "ICONOSTASIS" BY BORIS ORLOV VARIOUS OF SCRAP OF METAL WITH WRITING READING (English) "IRON CURTAIN" MUSEUM WORKERS WEARING PROTECTIVE SCREENS VARIOUS OF VISITORS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) EXHIBITION CURATOR, KIRILL SVETLYAKOV, SAYING: "We wanted see the person of that time, what were his thoughts and fears and how did he live when private and public life were separated. It used to be two different lives." EXHIBITION NAME READING (Russian): "NOT FOREVER 1968/1985" (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) EXHIBITION CURATOR, KIRILL SVETLYAKOV, SAYING (ASKED ABOUT EXHIBITION NAMING): "People in the 70s and 80 had a feeling that the Era of Stagnation would never end, so the name is playful and paradox. There was a feeling that it is forever, but nothing is forever." VARIOUS OF PAINTING "PLEIN-AIR ARTIST" BY ERIK BULATOV VARIOUS OF PAINTINGS "DOUBLING-I" AND "DOUBLING-II" BY MIKHAIL CHERNYSHOV VARIOUS OF PAINTING "FAREWELL TO WINTER" BY TATYANA NAZARENKO VISITOR LOOKING AT PAINTING "FRIENDS" BY ALEXANDER PETROV VARIOUS OF PAINTING "FRIENDS" BY ALEXANDER PETROV VARIOUS OF WORK "THE CHRONICLE OF PEOPLE'S SOUL" BY ANNA DOBROVENSKAYA FLOWERS / TV SHOWING FOOTAGE OF SOVIET LEADER LEONID BREZHNEV SPEAKING TRETYAKOV GALLERY DIRECTOR, ZELFIRA TREGULOVA, SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) TRETYAKOV GALLERY DIRECTOR, ZELFIRA TREGULOVA, SAYING: "The project was planned for spring, for April. Now we hope that during the two remaining months of summer and the first half of September, it will be open till September 11, a substantial amount of people would be able to visit it." VARIOUS OF PAINTING "MUSIC" BY MAYA-NORA TABAKA EXHIBITION ROOM VIEW VARIOUS OF PAINTING "CARNIVAL" BY NIKOLAI ERYSHEV VARIOUS OF MODEL FOR DECORATION ANIMATION FILM "HEDGEHOG IN THE FOG"
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 17:51
- Keywords: 70s 80s Russian art Soviet Union Soviet art coronavirus lockdown reopening
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLO95JT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russia's world-renowned Tretyakov Gallery opened on Monday (July 6) with new exhibition "Not Forever", as lockdown measures were lifted.
The exhibition is centred around the period of Soviet life known as "the Era of Stagnation" when the country was ruled by Leonid Brezhnev.
The exhibition attempts to capture the thoughts and fears of the common Soviet citizen at that time, the curator Kirill Svetlyakov told Reuters. In the minds of people, it felt like the stagnation in the life of the society would never end, Svetlyakov added.
The Tretyakov Gallery had been closed to visitors since April as part of measures to fight the spread of the coronavirus, resulting in the exhibition opening its doors three months later than expected.
Now, art-lovers have two and a half months to witness more than 450 works of Soviet artists of the era, as the showcase ends on September 11.
"Not Forever" is a part of an exhibition series organised by Tretyakov Gallery. The first part, which included works created in the period of the so-called "Khrushchev Thaw" of the 50s and 60s was presented to the viewers in 2017. The triptych is set to finish with a showcase of works of art created during Perestroika. The date of the final exhibition is yet to be announced.
(Production: Mikhail Antonov, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None