- Title: Interior and justice ministers take office in French reshuffle
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 7, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) INCOMING INTERIOR MINISTER GERALD DARMANIN WALKING OUT OF MINISTRY FOR HANDOVER CEREMONY WITH OUTGOING INTERIOR MINISTER CHRISTOPHE CASTANER, INCOMING JUNIOR MINISTER FOR CITIZENSHIP MARLENE SCHIAPPA AND OUTGOING JUNIOR INTERIOR MINISTER LAURENT NUNEZ POLICEMEN (SOUNDBITE) (French) INCOMING INTERIOR MINISTER GERALD DARMANIN SAYING: "I know Christopher that criticism is easy but art is difficult. You are an example and I will be glad to continue to benefit from your advice." CIVIL SERVANTS AND MINISTERS APPLAUDING CASTANER APPLAUDING WITH CIVIL SERVANTS DARMANIN AND SCHIAPPA APPLAUDING
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 12:54
- Keywords: France government handover ministers reshuffle
- Location: PARIS AND LES MUREAUX, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND LES MUREAUX, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLTA05J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's new government took shape on Tuesday (July 7) as freshly-appointed ministers took up their posts following a reshuffle which French President Emmanuel Macron hopes will mark a turning point in his administration.
Gerald Darmanin swapped his budget brief for a new role as interior minister, taking over from weakened predecessor Christophe Castaner, who weathered criticism for police action against protesters. Darmanin will oversee police and counterintelligence.
Criminal lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti, a familiar face to the public for defending clients in high-profile cases, took up the job of justice minister, an appointment which has been met with apprehension by judges' unions.
The first meeting of the new cabinet is set to take place at 1300GMT.
(Production: Antony Paone, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None