- Title: U.S. point man for North Korea meets South Korean officials in Seoul
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JULY 8, 2020) (REUTERS) DELEGATION AND OFFICIALS WALKING ON FOOT BRIDGE AT SOUTH KOREAN FOREIGN MINISTRY BUILDING / ANTI-WAR PROTESTERS CHANTING BANNER READING (English): "PEACE TREATY NOW" PROTEST IN PROGRESS PROTESTER CHANTING SLOGAN (English): "NO SANCTIONS" PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS PROTESTERS CHANTING SLOGAN (English): "PEACE TREATY NOW"
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 02:59
- Keywords: North Korea Pyongyang Seoul South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha Stephen Biegun U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Vice Foreign Minister Cho Sei-young protest rally the United States
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLY6CSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Deputy Secretary of State and special envoy for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, met with South Korean officials including Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Vice Foreign Minister Cho Sei-young in Seoul on Wednesday (July 8).
Talks will likely cover a range of issues, including coronavirus responses and ongoing negotiations over military cost-sharing, but North Korea is expected to dominate the agenda, Seoul officials said.
Stephen Biegun who arrived in Seoul late on Tuesday (July 7) is also likely to meet with Suh Hoon, South Korean President Moon Jae-in's new national security advisor who, as spy chief, was instrumental in facilitating summits between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, a Seoul official said.
Talks with Pyongyang have since stalled, and North Korean officials say the country has no intention to sit down with the United States.
While Biegun met with the officials, a small group of anti-war activists staged a rally outside Seoul's foreign ministry building, holding up banners and chanting slogans such as "no sanctions" and "peace treaty now".
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None