- Title: Indian centenarian beats COVID-19
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 08, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE IN LANE MUKHTAR AHMED, 106-YEAR-OLD MAN WHO RECOVERED FROM COVID-19 WALKING AHMED SEATED AHMED SMILING VARIOUS OF AHMED TALKING TO FAMILY MEMBER AHMED LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) 106-YEAR-OLD COVID-19 SURVIVOR, MUKHTAR AHMED, SAYING: "The medics took us (me and two other patients) to a different ward on the top floor. There they gave me proper treatmentâ€¦ I got good food and I recovered (from COVID-19)." VARIOUS OF AHMED TALKING TO FAMILY MEMBER (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) 106-YEAR-OLD COVID-19 SURVIVOR, MUKHTAR AHMED, SAYING: "There was (unclear) Visceral leishmaniasis and Meningitis outbreak, there were many pandemics beforeâ€¦those pandemics had killed many people, but the world had never suffered as it is suffering during the COVID-19 outbreak." AHMED LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF AHMED EATING FOOD
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 16:17
- Keywords: COVID-19 India Mukhtar Ahmed coronavrius health hospital lockdown medicine recovered
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLYALAN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A 106-year-old man has recovered from the coronavirus in India becoming the country's oldest to win the battle against the deadly disease.
The centenarian, Mukhtar Ahmed, was recently discharged from a hospital in New Delhi after proper treatment even though he was highly vulnerable to the infection.
Ahmed had also witnessed the influenza pandemic in 1918 when he was four-year-old, that had killed around 50 million people in the world.
"There were many pandemics beforeâ€¦those pandemics had killed many people, but the world had never suffered as it is suffering during the COVID-19 outbreak," said Ahmed on Wednesday (July 08).
India, the third most affected country by the virus, reported 22,752 new cases as of Wednesday morning, taking the total to 742,417, and death toll to 20,642, health ministry data showed.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None