- Title: Jordanian doctor and plantsman transforms his clinic into a garden
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: AMMAN, JORDAN (JULY 5, 2020) (REUTERS) REFLECTION OF DOCTOR AND PLANTSMAN NIZAR AL- HALABY SEEN IN MIRROR WHILE WATERING PLANTS IN HIS CLINIC VARIOUS OF HALABY WATERING PLANTS CACTUS ON DISPLAY PLANTS AT CLINIC HALABY'S HANDS AS HE PICKS LEAVES OFF PLANTS VARIOUS OF HALABY WATERING PLANTS HALABY WEARING LAB COAT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PLANTSMAN AND FAMILY DOCTOR, NIZAR AL-HALABY, SAYING : "It takes me between an hour, hour and a half, sometimes two hours (to water the plants) depending on the work load in the clinic. As I said, it's a wonderful feeling, it's like caring for someone you love, giving them water and protecting them. They are a part of your life." HALABY WRITING PRESCRIPTION WHILE BEING SURROUNDED BY PLANTS VARIOUS OF HALABY CHECKING PATIENT HALABY FILLING VIAL WITH MEDICINE HALABY WRITING PRESCRIPTION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PATIENT, MOHAMMAD ABU ZAINAH, SAYING : "I've been visiting this doctor for more than 20 years, yes it has been more than 20 years, we came here as kids with our mother and would stare at the plants in the clinic. We used to play with the plants and even tried taking some home. It's been a sight to see ever since I was a kid." PLANTS / HALABY READING NEWSPAPER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PLANTSMAN AND FAMILY DOCTOR, NIZAR AL-HALABY, SAYING: "Anyone who has studied psychology understands that (plants) are calming. Just as classical music calms one down, these (plants) will do the same. It is better to look at something beautiful than to look at nothing." HALABY WALKING AND WATERING PLANTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PLANTSMAN AND FAMILY DOCTOR, NIZAR AL-HALABY, SAYING: "During the coronavirus outbreak, as I was allowed to drive my car, so I would come here and sit alone in the clinic with the plants. It's very hard staying away from them. Even being away for two days, I would come back and be amazed by how great the clinic looks. I planted ever single thing, I didn't buy any of them. There is a love connection with the plants." VARIOUS OF PLANTS AT CLINIC
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 14:01
- Keywords: Jordan clinic doctor plants
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Human-Led Quirky,Human-Led Stories
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLY93KL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Before putting on his lab coat in the morning, a Jordanian doctor reaches for the water jug and begins to water the hundreds of plants he has been growing in his clinic.
Doctor Nizar al-Halaby's love for greenery began over 35 years ago, when his aunt bought him a small plant to congratulate him on his newly opened clinic.
Since then, he has grown over 3,000 different kinds of plants in his small clinic in Amman, with flowers and cacti among his favourite.
The father of four said he spends over two hours a week watering his plants, comparing the process to 'caring for someone you love.'
He believes they also have a calming effect on his patients, who often find themselves competing with the plants for seats in the waiting room.
"It's been a sight to see ever since I was a kid," said a patient, Mohammd Abu Zainah.
With the outbreak of the coronavirus pushing Jordan into a lockdown in March, the keen plantsman says coming to his clinic and spending hours with his plants has been comforting.
"It's very hard staying away from them," he said.
(Production: Muath Freij, Jehad Abu Shalbak)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None