- Title: India arrests South Korean CEO, 11 others for gas leak at LG Polymers
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 07, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING:CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF POLICE COMING OUT WITH ARRESTED EXECUTIVES OF LG POLYMERS ARRESTED PEOPLE SEATED ON POLICE BUS VARIOUS OF POLICE BUS CARRYING ARRESTED PEOPLE LEAVING VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 07, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DETAINEES AT POLICE STATION VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 07, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, VISAKHAPATNAM, R.K. MEENA, TAKING SEAT TO ADDRESS NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, VISAKHAPATNAM, R.K. MEENA, SAYING: "Today, we have arrested total 12 members of...12 employees of the LG Polymers company in that CEO (Chief-Executive Officer) of the company and two other directors plus some of the engineers and unit in-charge we have arrested because prima facie we found evidence against these people on which we have taken action against 12 members." VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA (FILE - MAY 09, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICIALS ARRIVING AT LG POLYMERS PLANT POLICE OFFICIALS TALKING TO MAN AT PLANT VARIOUS OF GAS LEAK VICTIMS AT HOSPITAL VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA (FILE - MAY 07, 2020) (ANI -NO USE INDIA) LG POLYMERS PLANT BUILDING SIGNBOARD READING (English): "LG CHEM" PEOPLE WITH THEIR FACES COVERED WALKING SECURITY GUARDS STANDING OUTSIDE LG POLYMERS PLANT AS VEHICLE COME OUT OF GATE RESCUE OFFICIAL HOLDING VICTIM/RESCUE OFFICIAL HELPING VICTIM DRINK WATER POLICEMEN AND OTHERS STANDING AS TWO-WHEELERS PASS BY VICTIM TALKING ON PHONE/VICTIM BEING MADE TO SIT INSIDE AMBULANCE VICTIM BEING CARRIED AWAY/VICTIMS SITTING AS PEOPLE SURROUND THEM DOORS OF AMBULANCE BEING CLOSED POLICEMAN STANDING NEAR AMBULANCE VICTIMS BEING TAKEN TO AMBULANCE SIGNBOARD READING (English): "LG POLYMERS INDIA"
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 12:26
- Keywords: India LG Polymers South Korea Vizag arrest crime gas leak police
- Location: VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA
- City: VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLY7TQN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Indian police have arrested 12 LG Polymers officials, including its South Korean Chief Executive Sunkey Jeong, an officer said on Wednesday (July 08), two months after a gas leak at the company's south Indian chemical plant killed 12.
The arrests were made under a case of culpable homicide filed against the company, a unit of South Korea's LG Chem Ltd, and its officials, stemming from the leak that occurred in the early hours on May 7 in the port city of Visakhapatnam, the city police commissioner Rajiv Kumar Meena said.
"A total of twelve members including the CEO and two directors were arrested on Tuesday evening," Meena said, adding that among those arrested were two directors, one of whom was a South Korean.
Toxic styrene gas leaked from the chemical plant choking many people who were sleeping.
This week, a government-appointed committee recommended that the plant should be shifted away from human habitation and called for action against the top employees. It said LG Polymers had been negligent and warning systems were not working.
The company had ignored potentially hazardous chemical reactions at the plant in April before the leak, when it was working with reduced staff due to a coronavirus lockdown, the committee said.
The temperature inside the oldest of the three storage tanks holding styrene monomer, a liquid used in making polystyrene products, rose to more than six times the permitted level, after which it evaporated, the committee found.
The police case included counts of culpable homicide, negligent handling of poisonous substances and causing hurt and endangering public life.
Meena said the charges could draw prison terms of up to eight years if proven in court.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None