- Title: U.N. investigator on extrajudicial executions to address Human Rights Council
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - FEBRUARY 27, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF UNITED NATIONS HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL DURING 40TH SESSION
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 01:41
- Keywords: Agnes Callamard Qassem Soleimani United Nations drone report drones
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007CM379S7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A U.N. human rights investigator will present a report on drones, including the U.S. drone used to assassinate Iran's general Qassem Soleimani in Iraq, to the U.N. Human Rights Council on Thursday (July 9).
The report by Agnes Callamard, a U.N. special rapporteur on arbitrary, extrajudicial and summary executions, will give member states a chance to debate what action to pursue.
The United States is not a member of the forum, having quit two years ago.
Soleimani, leader of the Revolutionary Guards' Quds Force, was a pivotal figure in orchestrating Iran's campaign to drive U.S. forces out of Iraq, and built up Iran's network of proxy armies across the Middle East.
Washington had accused Soleimani of masterminding attacks by Iranian-aligned militias on U.S. forces in the region.
(Production: Helena Williams, Vanessa Romeo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None