- Title: Prominent mayor of S.Korea's capital found dead amid allegation of impropriety
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOT) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREAN INVESTIGATION TEAM CARRYING BODY OF SEOUL CITY MAYOR PARK WON-SOON
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 20:14
- Keywords: Park Won-soon Seoul South Korea body death mayor police
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM39RUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of South Korea's most prominent elected officials, the longtime mayor of its capital, was found dead, police said on Friday (July 10), after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe of an alleged impropriety.
After a search involving hundreds of police, Mayor Park Won-soon's body was found at Mt. Bugak in northern Seoul around midnight, near where his phone signal had last been detected, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said.
It did not give a cause of death. There was no sign of foul play although a detailed investigation would be needed, police official Choi Ik-soo told reporters at a televised briefing at the scene.
The Yonhap news agency said a former secretary of Park had filed a complaint on Wednesday over alleged incidents of sexual harassment.
Choi said an investigation was under way after a criminal complaint had been lodged against Park, without elaborating.
Park's daughter reported him missing at 5:17 p.m. (0817 GMT) and said his phone was off and that he had left a message "like a will," Yonhap reported.
(Production: Kim Hong-Ji, Hyunyoung Yi, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None