- Title: Musk says Tesla "very close" to level 5 autonomous driving technology
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRE-RECORDED VIDEO MESSAGE FROM TESLA CEO ELON MUSK, SAYING: "We are developing new buses and new sort of heat projection or cooling systems that enable a very high operation computer that will be able to process video data effectively."
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 08:34
- Keywords: China Elon Musk Tesla level 5 autonomous driving technology
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Information Technologies / Computer Sciences,Science
- Reuters ID: LVA003CM3669Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc is "very close" to achieving level 5 autonomous driving technology, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Thursday (July 9), referring to the capability to navigate roads without any driver input.
"I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for level five autonomy complete this year," Musk said in remarks made in a video message at the opening of Shanghai's annual World Artificial Intelligence Conference.
Automakers and tech companies including Alphabet Inc Waymo and Uber Technologies are investing billions in the autonomous driving industry.
However industry insiders have said it would take time for the technology to get ready and public to trust autonomous vehicles fully. The California-based automaker currently builds cars with an Autopilot driver-assistance system.
Industry data showed Tesla sold nearly 15,000 China-made Model 3 sedans last month. Tesla has become the highest-valued automaker as its shares surged to record highs and its market capitalisation overtook that of former front-runner Toyota Motors.
(Production: Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None