- Title: Musk says Tesla "very close" to level 5 autonomous driving technology
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (FILE - APRIL 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE INSIDE SHANGHAI AUTO SHOW EXHIBITION HALL MAN GETTING INTO TESLA MODEL X MAN INSIDE TESLA MODEL X SEEN IN MIRROR TESLA MODEL X ON DISPLAY MAN GETTING INTO TESLA MODEL S TESLA MODEL S ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 08:34
- Keywords: China Elon Musk Tesla level 5 autonomous driving technology
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Information Technologies / Computer Sciences,Science
- Reuters ID: LVA002CM3669Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc is "very close" to achieving level 5 autonomous driving technology, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Thursday (July 9), referring to the capability to navigate roads without any driver input.
"I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for level five autonomy complete this year," Musk said in remarks made in a video message at the opening of Shanghai's annual World Artificial Intelligence Conference.
Automakers and tech companies including Alphabet Inc Waymo and Uber Technologies are investing billions in the autonomous driving industry.
However industry insiders have said it would take time for the technology to get ready and public to trust autonomous vehicles fully. The California-based automaker currently builds cars with an Autopilot driver-assistance system.
Industry data showed Tesla sold nearly 15,000 China-made Model 3 sedans last month. Tesla has become the highest-valued automaker as its shares surged to record highs and its market capitalisation overtook that of former front-runner Toyota Motors.
(Production: Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None