- Title: Fugitive former Mexican governor arrested in Miami
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: CHIHUAHUA CITY, CHIHUAHUA (FILE - JUNE 13, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GOVERNMENT PALACE EXTERIOR (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) (THEN) CHIHUAHUA GOVERNOR CESAR DUARTE, SAYING (ON THE KILLING OF A RULING PARTY MAYORAL CANDIDATE): "I think citizens in Chihuahua know that we have overcome the worst of the crisis and we won't allow events such as this one impact the coexistence of the people of Chihuahua, much less so during an electoral process."
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 01:34
- Keywords: Cesar Duarte Chihuahua Florida Mexico Miami USA former governor of the Mexican state of Chihuahua
- Location: CHIHUAHUA + CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO
- City: CHIHUAHUA + CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA002CLYAX53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Police in Miami on Wednesday (July 8) arrested the former governor of the Mexican state of Chihuahua, Cesar Duarte, who is wanted on corruption charges in his homeland, U.S. and Mexican officials said.
Duarte, who governed the northern border state from 2010 to 2016, has been accused by Mexican authorities of misappropriating public funds.
The Mexican attorney general's office said Duarte faced extradition back to Mexico. Its statement came shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump met with his Mexican counterpart, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, at the White House.
Duarte, who governed Chihuahua for the long-ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), has previously denied wrongdoing.
(Production: Temis Tormo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None