- Title: Saudi soccer team prepares for resumption of matches in August
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (JULY 8, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORKER SPRAYING DISINFECTANT ON FOOTBALLS WORKER WIPING A FOOTBALL VARIOUS OF SPRINKLERS SPRAYING WATER ON SOCCER FIELD VARIOUS OF COACH ASSISTANT LINING UP TEES ON EDGE OF SOCCER FIELD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) AL SHABAB ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM MANAGER, FAHAD ALMEAJEL, SAYING: "Without a doubt, we focus less on technique than on health at the moment. We, the management, try to concentrate on preparations, precautions and raising awareness (among players). We are scared to receive a call from a player telling us that he was with someone ill with the coronavirus. These things worry us a lot." PLAYERS RUNNING IN THE STADIUM AT NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PICTURES OF THE PLAYERS WHILE THEY RUN PLAYERS RUNNING VARIOUS OF PLAYERS DURING PRACTICE PLAYERS WARMING UP HEAD COACH TALKING TO PLAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AL SHABAB HEAD COACH, LUIS GARCIA, SAYING: "We were waiting to see what would happen. They said we could return, they were keen to have us back and to train again. Everything was also gradual, to incorporate players that couldn't travel. Now we're working, as usual it's what I enjoy the most. I enjoy coaching them, so I'm happy." HEAD COACH DURING PRACTICE VARIOUS OF PLAYERS TRAINING (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) AL SHABAB PLAYER, SEBA JUNIOR, SAYING: "I believe it (coronavirus outbreak) affected everyone, all the players. But the club and its directors gave us a training programme. We did the training at home, I believe all the players did that, but we know it's not the same thing as training on the pitch. Now we're at full speed to get back in shape so we can return to the championship very well." VARIOUS OF GOAL KEEPERS TRAINING COACH GIVING INSTRUCTIONS TO GOAL KEEPERS GOAL KEEPERS TRAINING EXTERIOR OF AL SHABAB CLUB
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 09:40
- Keywords: Coronavirus Easing Football stadium Restrictions Riyadh Saudi Arabia Soccer Sport activities
- Location: RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA
- City: RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM38EVP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Before Saudi Arabia's Al-Shabab soccer team sets foot in the stadium, footballs are disinfected one by one as part of the measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, one of the management team's main concerns at the moment, Al Shabab administrative team manager, Fahad Almeajel said.
The professional soccer team's head coach, Luis Garcia, arrived on the field wearing a face mask and ready to meet his players who train in the evenings to avoid the daytime heat. Temperatures at night reach up to 44 degrees Celsius at this time of the year.
One of the players, Seba Junior, said they are trying their best to get back in shape for their upcoming matches.
Sports events with public attendance had been cancelled in March, as part of the kingdom's efforts to limit the spread of the coronavirus.
Al Shabab players received a special training program to do from home.
Sports activities resumed on June 21, but some players have still been unable to return due to the restrictions on international travel imposed by the kingdom.
The Saudi General Sports Authority allowed the resumption of sports activities without a public and with mandatory precautionary measures on June 21. A special protocol guide was distributed to all sports associations and clubs, requiring the use of sanitizers, the disinfection of all areas, advising against shaking hands and physical contact between players. In addition, social distancing markers were placed in certain areas of the club's facilities.
Soccer competitions are due to resume on August 4.
On July 8, Saudi Arabia Saudi recorded 3,036 new coronavirus case and 42 deaths.
(Production: Nael Shyoukhi, Mohammed Benmansour)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None