- Title: Abidjan residents 'shocked' by Amadou Gon Coulibaly's death
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: NEWSPAPER READING HEADLINE READING (French): "MY GOD WHAT A CRUEL LOSS" NEWSPAPER READING HEADLINE READING (French): "GON LEAVES THE SCENE" NEWSPAPER READING HEADLINE READING (French): "FAREWELL AGC (AMADOU GON COULIBALY) FAREWELL"
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 12:32
- Keywords: Amadou Gon Coulibaly dead ivory coast presidential elections prime minsuter
- Location: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- City: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- Country: Ivory Coast
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CM38ZEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Abidjan residents on Thursday (July 9) morning said they were shocked by the death of Amadou Gon Coulibaly, Ivory Coast's prime minister and the ruling party's candidate for an October presidential election.
The death of Gon Coulibaly, 61, who had had heart surgery in 2012 and had just returned from cardiac examinations in France, is likely to set off a scramble within the ruling RHDP party to replace him as its presidential candidate.
Some local residents described Coulibaly as a great politician who worked hard and discreetly.
"It's a shock, it's a shock for Ivorians but for Africa as well who just lost a great man. Africa is crying, we are in mourning,'' said Abidjan resident Julien Deoulem Goto.
Derided by critics as uncharismatic, Gon Coulibaly rode Ouattara's coattails to the heights of Ivorian politics.
In a tweet, Ouattara paid tribute to "my younger brother, my son, Amadou Gon Coulibaly, who was, for 30 years, my closest partner".
Gon Coulibaly served as secretary general of the presidency from 2012-17 before being appointed prime minister.
(Production:Media Coulibaly; Christophe Van Der Perre, Lucy Marks, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.