- Title: Liverpool skipper Henderson to miss rest of season, will still lift trophy
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) SOUNDBITE (English) LIVERPOOL MANAGER JUERGEN KLOPP SAYING: "Now we have a situation where on match day, three decisions should have been different. I can 100 per cent understand that Dean Smith is really struggling to accept what happened last night. I don't know how it can happen to be honest. It is not just about who makes the decision, when two people have a look at it, or three people even. And in the end it should just be the right decision, what I don't understand is that over-ruling is so complicated because it must be a clear and obvious mistake or misjudgement, so I thought they were all obvious these things you have to ask the refs why they stuck to the decision from the match referee. I don't know. It is difficult, it is obviously difficult, but I didn't think last night it was too difficult, but anyway it was still not right. That's obviously not good because if we had now the situation without VAR and these decisions and talked today about it and said 'Did you see that' or 'How could you not see that differently to the rest of the world?'. I don't know. We had situations, nobody spoke about it in the Aston Villa where clear penalties and nobody speaks afterwards about it because we won the game. But it is not about us or anyone else, it is about the decision but you would like to think in the end, three people watch it, ref, assistant, the VAR and there is another VAR there, there is another view, so they should really find the right decision in the end."
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 14:26
- Keywords: Burnely Jordan Henderson Juergen Klopp Liverpool VAR
- Location: LIVERPOOL, BRIGHTON, BIRMINGHAM; ENGLAND, UK
- City: LIVERPOOL, BRIGHTON, BIRMINGHAM; ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA008CM88Z7J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has been ruled out of the rest of the Premier League champions' campaign after the midfielder sustained a knee injury in their midweek win at Brighton & Hove Albion, manager Juergen Klopp said on Friday (July 10).
Klopp was forced to withdraw Henderson 10 minutes from full-time in the 3-1 win after a collision with Yves Bissouma but the German said the 30-year-old does not require surgery.
Liverpool, who are on 92 points with four games remaining, are on course to break Manchester City's record haul of 100 points and face Burnley on Saturday.
(Production: Iain Axon)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None