- Title: Australia's Victoria reports record daily number of coronavirus cases
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PREVIOUSLY LOCKED DOWN TOWERS NO LONGER IN LOCKDOWN WORKERS IN VEHICLE IN FRONT OF TOWERS PEOPLE IN PERSONAL PROTECTIVE SUITS EMPTYING RUBBISH AT TOWERS
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 07:11
- Keywords: Australia Daniel Andrew Melbourne Victoria lockdown
- Location: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- City: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM86L3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Victoria reported a single day jump of 288 new cases on Friday (July 10) which marked a record for the state and took its active cases to 1,172, making up most of the active cases in the country.
Despite surging numbers of cases in Victoria, the state has relaxed restrictions on most of the 3,000 people who were locked down in nine public-housing towers. One of the nine towers will remain in a hard lockdown for another eight days.
"No one should underestimate how significant, how big a challenge we all face. It is very significant and that's why each of us have to play our part," state premier Daniel Andrews told reporters.
The state's chief health officer warned there would be a sharp rise in hospitalisations, intensive care cases and deaths in the coming days as a result of the spike in infections. Victoria also became the first state in the country to urge people to wear masks when they leave home.
Even with the latest outbreak, Australia has done relatively well in controlling the novel coronavirus so far, with around 9,000 cases and 106 deaths.
(Production: Stefica Nicol Bikes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None