- Title: In masks and gloves, Singaporeans vote during pandemic
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: SINGAPORE (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VOTER PUTTING ON PLASTIC GLOVES VOTER IN MASK LOOKING ON AND WALKING AWAY VARIOUS OF VOTERS WEARING PLASTIC GLOVES AND MASKS CASTING VOTES INTO BALLOT BOXES (SOUNDBITE) (English) 33-YEAR-OLD VOTER AND ART DIRECTOR AT ADVERTISING FIRM, SHAWN, SAYING: "Generally, I just feel that perhaps, yeah, timing-wise, this could be held at a later point in time, especially during this period. Yeah." VARIOUS OF VOTERS QUEUING UP OUTSIDE OF POLLING STATION STAFF WEARING PLASTIC SHIELD TAKING BODY TEMPERATURE OF VOTER VOTERS WEARING PLASTIC SHIELDS WALKING INTO POLLING STATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) 70-YEAR-OLD VOTER AND RETIREE, KARTHI KAYAN, SAYING: "(We're voting) because it's our responsibility, and last year (last election) we were not here, we were in India, so this time we made sure we come and vote." VOTERS QUEUING UP INSIDE POLLING STATION VOTER REGISTERING AND WASHING HANDS WITH HAND SANITISER VOTERS WRITING VOTES IN VOTING COMPARTMENTS VOTER CASTING VOTE INTO BALLOT BOX (SOUNDBITE) (English) 82-YEAR-OLD VOTER AND RETIREE, PHILIP LEE, SAYING: "All the precautions (taken) are very good, the government is doing a good precaution to prevent the spreading of this virus." SINGAPORE PRESIDENT HALIMAH YACOB WASHING HANDS WITH HAND SANITISER AND WALKING OVER TO REGISTER YACOB LOOKING ON YACOB PUTTING ON PLASTIC GLOVES STAFF WEARING PLASTIC SHIELD YACOB CASTING VOTE PEOPLE WALKING OUT OF POLLING STATION/POLICE OFFICER STANDING ON DUTY POLICE OFFICER STANDING ON DUTY
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 04:42
- Keywords: COVID-19 People's Action Party Singapore coronavirus general election gloves mask pandemic precautions prevention vote
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM86FK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Singaporeans wearing masks and gloves cast their ballots on Friday (July 10) under the cloud of the COVID-19 pandemic that is pushing the city-state's economy towards its worst-ever recession, making saving jobs the focus of the election.
Clad in face shields, election officials enforced safe distancing rules and took voters' temperatures as they entered polling booths, with the morning session mainly reserved for the elderly to prevent overcrowding.
Nevertheless, some voters were still concerned about the risk of infection, as community COVID-19 cases have been rising across the country in recent days.
"Generally, I just feel that perhaps, timing-wise, this could be held at a later point in time, especially during this period," said 33-year-old voter Shawn, who would only provide his first name.
In power since independence in 1965, the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) is expected to carry Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to another comfortable, and probably final victory.
A record 11 parties are contesting. Singapore is not the first country in Asia to hold elections during the pandemic - South Korea held parliamentary elections in April - but its mandatory ballot comes under strict conditions.
(Production: Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None