- Title: Flatbread face masks: India fights COVID-19
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: MADURAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (JULY 9, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) FLATBREAD KNOWN AS 'PAROTTA' SHAPED LIKE FACE MASK SERVED ON BANANA LEAF CHEF WEARING MASK ROLLING BALLS OF DOUGH IN HANDS VARIOUS OF CHEF MAKING PAROTTAS PAROTTAS SHAPED LIKE MASKS COOKING (SOUNDBITE) (Tamil) RESTAURANT MANAGER, POOVALINGAM, SAYING: "These items (parottas) are a huge hit among children and we also get online orders for mask-parottas. The aim behind introducing these is to create awareness among people to wear a mask, as many people are still reluctant to wear a mask." CHEF WEARING FACE MASK SPRINKLING OIL ON STOVE VARIOUS OF PAROTTAS SHAPED LIKE FACE MASKS COOKING, BEING FLIPPED OVER HAND PICKING UP PAROTTA SERVED ON BANANA LEAVES EXTERIOR OF RESTAURANT
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 12:33
- Keywords: COVID-19 India India bakery India coronavirus bread coronavirus face mask bread
- Location: MADURAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- City: MADURAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM896BP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As the coronavirus pandemic sweeps across India, a restaurant in the city of Madurai is serving up a novel way to remind people to protect themselves - flatbreads shaped like facemasks.
The Temple City restaurant introduced the flatbreads, known as 'parotta', to create awareness and encourage people to wear face masks, as many were still reluctant to do so, said the restaurant's manager.
Facemask parottas have become a huge hit with children and adults alike, with people placing orders for them online, he said.
The parottas, which are shaped by hand and fried in hot oil, are a staple part of people's diet in southern India.
The southern state of Tamil Nadu, where Temple City is located, is one of India's hardest hit by the pandemic. Along with New Delhi, and Maharashtra, home to India's financial capital Mumbai, they account for about 60% of the total coronavirus cases in the country.
(Production: Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None