- Title: Hong Kong to suspend all schools due to spike in coronavirus cases
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) OFFICIALS ENTERING HONG KONG DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH NEWS CONFERENCE SOUNDBITE (English) HEAD OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASE BRANCH OF THE CENTRE FOR HEALTH PROTECTION OF THE HONG KONG DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, DR. CHUANG SHUK-KWAN, SAYING: "In the recent trend, I think that the trend of spread in the community is, seems to be much wider than those in March. Because during that period, the outbreak, the cases are, many of them are linked, and we can find the source. And those unlinked cases are only sporadic cases. So we can still locate them and stop the spread. But in recent cases, I think the spread is much wider, because it has affected elderly homes, and many elderly people in the community, and also taxi drivers, attendees at some local restaurants." DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING ON ROAD / PEOPLE WALKING VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CANOSSA SECONDARY SCHOOL SIGN READING (Chinese): ''DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS, NO STOPPING AND GATHERING AT SCHOOL GATE'' VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CANOSSA SECONDARY SCHOOL (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) MOTHER OF 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL MELONY, MIMI TSANG, SAYING: "In fact, many parents are worried about the sudden increase of local transmission cases in the past few days. Actually, we were all worried, but since my child was in the sixth grade, courses and registration were finished today, and the school curriculum was completed. Taking an early summer vacation instead makes us feel at ease and (my girl) can continue to study at home." VARIOUS OF STUDENTS PLAYING BASKETBALL (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 14-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, RYAN CHAN, SAYING: "In fact, we just finished the exams today, so we can have time to play basketball and stay at home. Originally, we just had one more week of classes to go, so I don't think there is too much difference." VARIOUS OF STUDENTS PLAYING BASKETBALL
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 11:32
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Hong Kong education school suspension
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CM86O93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong's Education Bureau on Friday (July 10) announced the suspension of all schools from Monday (July 13) after a sharp rise in locally transmitted coronavirus cases fuelled fears of renewed community spread.
Schools in the Asian financial hub have been mostly shut since January, with many having switched to online learning and lessons by conference call. Many international schools are already on summer break.
Hong Kong reported 38 new coronavirus cases on Friday, edging down from Thursday's (July 9) 42 but broadly in line with a sharp increase that the city registered over the past three days. Authorities said 32 of the new cases were locally transmitted after the city reported mostly imported cases for months.
The total number of cases since late January now stands at 1,404. Seven people have died.
"Many parents are worried about the sudden increase of local transmission cases in the past few days," said Mimi Tsang, mother of 12-year-old student Melony.
The early closure of schools would this time not have much impact on teaching, students and parents said, as it comes just ahead of the summer holidays.
"We just had one more week of classes to go, so I don't think there is too much difference," said 14-year-old student Ryan Chan.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Aleksander Solum)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None