- Title: 'No America!' Protesters demand end to 'interference' in Lebanon
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: AWKAR, LEBANON (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) PROTESTER WALKING IN FRONT OF RIOT POLICE CHANTING (Arabic) :'No, no America' PROTESTERS MARCHING IN FRONT OF RIOT POLICE CHANTING FOR HEZBOLLAH LEADER SAYYED HASSAN NASRALLAH VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BURNING A DEPICTION OF THE U.S FLAG PROTESTER BURNING A PRINTED COPY OF 20 U.S DOLLAR BILL VARIOUS OF PROTESTER BURNING U.S FLAG PLACED OVER BARBED WIRE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, ABDALLAH HAMMOUD, SAYING: "In protest of the U.S politics that are being exercised by the U.S foreign affair ministry through their ambassador Mrs. Shea, which consists of interfering in Lebanon's affairs in the media or the judiciary system, and to support the arms of the resistance (referring to Hezbollah) and to refuse the U.S interference in the Arab and Lebanese affairs." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING STONES TOWARDS RIOT POLICE / RIOT POLICE USING WATER CANNON TOWARDS PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF BARBED WIRE AND GATE SET UP BY RIOT POLICE / WATER CANNON PARKED BEHIND GATE / HEZBOLLAH FLAG PLACED OVER BARBED WIRE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PULLING STEEL CABLE TO TRY AND REMOVE BARBED WIRE IN FRONT OF U.S. EMBASSY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, OUDAI DANNAN, 21, SAYING: "We are not Hezbollah members. We have the flag of Hezbollah but we are not members, nor soldiers nor do we work or get paid by them. But, we are here standing with Hezbollah which are the resistance against the U.S embassy which are interfering in Lebanese affairs." VARIOUS OF PROTESTER TRYING TO BREAK OFF STEEL POLE HOLDING BARBED WIRE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CHANTING ANTI U.S SLOGANS CARRYING U.S FLAG WITH GHOSTFACE MASK ON IT / PEOPLE 'S DEMOCRATIC PARTY FLAG / PALESTINIAN FLAG AND HEZBOLLAH FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, MOHAMMAD, SAYING: "Just to tell the people that in Lebanon there are people against the U.S intervention in Lebanon and the Arab world, not just in Lebanon." GHOSTFACE ON TOP OF U.S FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CHANTING PROTESTERS HOLDING PICTURE ILLUSTRATING HEZBOLLAH LEADER NASRALLAH AND LATE MILITARY HEZBOLLAH LEADER IMAD MOUGHNIYEH PROTESTER CHANTING (Arabic) :'They tied the Lebanese pound to the dollar, in order to keep the colonial system.' MORE OF PROTEST WITH PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING IN FRONT OF STEEL GATE SET BY RIOT POLICE
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 17:56
- Keywords: Awkar Lebanon U.S embassy anti-US protest barbed wire pro-hezbollah protest riot police water cannon
- Location: AWKAR, LEBANON
- City: AWKAR, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM89OHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters were met with water cannon as they gathered near the U.S embassy in Awkar, Lebanon on Friday (July 10) to demand an end to U.S. 'interference.'
The protest, a mix of Hezbollah supporters and anti-U.S. demonstrators, hurled stones at riot police, burnt U.S. flags and mock U.S. dollar bills. They also attempted to remove the barbed wire set up near the embassy gate, prompting the police to use water cannon to disperse them.
The protest comes after comments made on June 28 by U.S. ambassador in Lebanon Dorothy Shea about Hezbollah, - which the U.S. labels as a terrorist group - almost sparked a Lebanon -U.S. diplomatic rift.
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, in a speech on Tuesday night, said Shea had intervened in official appointments at the central bank, calling this "colonial" behaviour.
Shea has said the appointments were a matter for Lebanon to decide and she tried her best to convey the importance of credible and internationally respected experts being appointed.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Ben Dadswell and Vanessa Romeo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None