- Title: Indian gangster accused of killing eight policemen shot dead
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) OVERTURNED VEHICLE WHICH WAS CARRYING GANGSTER, VIKAS DUBEY, ACCUSED OF KILLING EIGHT POLICEMEN, SURROUNDED BY POLICE CANINE UNIT POLICEMEN / TOPPLED VEHICLE BROKEN WINDSHIELD OF THE VEHICLE BROKEN VEHICLE HANDLE SHOE LYING IN MUD ANOTHER VEHICLE INVOLVED IN ENCOUNTER / BULLET HOLES ON WINDSHIELD VARIOUS OF UNIFORMS AND OTHER ITEMS IN VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) ADDITIONAL DIRECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, KANPUR ZONE, JAI NARAYAN SINGH, SAYING: "The vehicle overturned here. He (Vikas Dubey) snatched the pistol of our judicator Mr Pachauri and tried to escape. This turned into a gunfight leading to the dreaded criminal Vikas Dubey being injured. He was declared dead when he was taken to the hospital." PEOPLE AT HOSPITAL BODY OF DUBEY IN BAG / PEOPLE CLICKING PICTURES JHANSI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) WIFE OF POLICEMAN ALLEGEDLY KILLED BY DUBEY, URMILA VERMA, SAYING: "The woman whose husband died such a death, how could she be happy? I am satisfied that such incidents won't happen again, so a little happy. That man (Vikas Dubey) destroyed eight families." KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE SURROUNDING AN AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 10:06
- Keywords: India Kanpur Uttar Pradesh Vikas Dubey Yogi Adityanath accident crime encounter
- Location: KANPUR, JHANSI, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: KANPUR, JHANSI, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM86TS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indian police shot dead on Friday (July 10), a man who had been accused of ordering the killing of eight policemen when he tried to flee from officers who had taken him into custody after he surrendered, officials said.
Vikas Dubey, who was on the run for over a week after he allegedly ordered the eight policemen killed, was shot dead in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh after an accident as he was being taken to detention.
Dubey had been accused in 60 criminal cases, of various offences including attempted murder, and talk of his links with police and politicians has been dominating headlines ever since the shootout last week in which the eight police were killed and seven wounded.
Two of Dubey's aides were killed in last week's violence and a police officer posted near Dubey's village was arrested over allegations that he helped him flee.
With a population of more than 200 million, Uttar Pradesh is India's most populous state. It has long been plagued crime and corruption.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None