- Title: France to restore Notre-Dame Cathedral as it was before inferno
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NOTRE-DAME CATHEDRAL ON FIRE CROWD WATCHING FROM ACROSS RIVER SEINE AS NOTRE DAME'S SPIRE COLLAPSES IN FLAMES SPIRE FALLING INTO FLAMES ROOF BURNING, RAFTERS COLLAPSING PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 15, 2019) (REUTERS) BURNING ROOF OF NOTRE DAME, SEEN FROM OTHER SIDE OR RIVER SEINE SPIRE BURNING PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - AUGUST 2017) (REUTERS) NOTRE-DAME'S SPIRE SEEN FROM THE SIDE NOTRE DAME SEEN FROM FRONT, WITH SPIRE IN MIDDLE OF TOWERS PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 15, 2019) (REUTERS) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, WIFE BRIGITTE MACRON AND MAYOR OF PARIS ANNE HIDALGO, ARRIVING AT NOTRE-DAME CATHEDRAL WITH ARCHPRIEST OF NOTRE-DAME PATRICK CHAUVET AND CULTURE MINISTER FRANCK RIESTER PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 16, 2019) (REUTERS) NOTRE-DAME AFTER FIRE FIREFIGHTERS AT CATHEDRAL CATHEDRAL
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 08:50
- Keywords: France Notre Dame cathedral spire
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM8777R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Paris' centuries-old Notre-Dame Cathedral will be rebuilt as it was before being engulfed in a fire last year, the public body in charge of its restoration said on Thursday (July 9).
The April 15, 2019 blaze gutted the Gothic landmark and major tourist attraction, destroying the spire and roof in a disaster that stunned the nation.
A national heritage and architectural commission approved plans to restore the cathedral to its last "complete, coherent and known" state, including the spire, the restoration body said in a statement.
President Emmanuel Macron promised after the fire to rebuild Notre-Dame within five years, and later suggested that a contemporary design could be used for the spire. Church officials hope Notre-Dame will be open for mass by 2024, when Paris is due to host the Olympic Games.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None