- Title: Indian gangster accused of killing eight policemen shot dead
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF INJURED POLICEMEN LYING ON STRETCHER BEING MOVED
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 09:19
- Keywords: India Kanpur Uttar Pradesh Vikas Dubey Yogi Adityanath accident crime encounter
- Location: KANPUR, JHANSI, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: KANPUR, JHANSI, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002CM87SJZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indian police shot dead on Friday (July 10), a man who had been accused of ordering the killing of eight policemen when he tried to flee from officers who had taken him into custody after he surrendered, officials said.
Vikas Dubey, who was on the run for over a week after he allegedly ordered the eight policemen killed, was shot dead in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh (UP) after an accident as he was being taken to detention.
"We were bringing Dubey to the prison when a car he was in overturned ... we had to shoot him because he stole a policeman's gun and tried to flee," said a senior police official.
Dubey had been accused in 60 criminal cases, of various offences including attempted murder, and talk of his links with police and politicians has been dominating headlines ever since the shootout last week in which the eight police were killed and seven wounded.
Two of Dubey's aides were killed in last week's violence and a police officer posted near Dubey's village was arrested over allegations that he helped him flee.
Opposition parties in the state have questioned the encounter and alleged that had he been alive, he would have spilt the beans about the backing of many senior leaders from ruling Bharatiya Janata Party.
With a population of more than 200 million, UP is India's most populous state. It has long been plagued crime and corruption.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material