- Title: Indiaâ€™s transgender march on roads to create awareness on COVID-19
- Date: 11th July 2020
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (JULY 11, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) TRANSGENDER STANDING HOLDING BANNERS, PLACARDS DURING RALLY ON COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES VARIOUS OF DRUMMERS BEATING DRUMS MAN FLAGGING OFF RALLY VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TRANSGENDER ACTIVIST AND HEAD OF AWARENESS CAMPAIGN, SUDHA, SAYING: "The members of the transgender community are visiting door-to-door and conducting survey and checking if somebody is sickâ€¦we are identifying people above the age of 60 years and providing them medicinal waters to boost immunity. We are distributing face masks and if anybody shows any symptoms of COVID-19 then we are sending them for tests." VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS CHANTING SLOGANS DRUMMERS BEATING DRUMS/PARTICIPANTS WALKING VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS HOLDING PLACARDS WALKING
- Embargoed: 25th July 2020 09:50
- Keywords: COVID-19 Chennai India Tamil Nadu awareness rally coronavirus lockdown transgender
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMD6YBZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Members of the transgender community and regional volunteers in India's southern Chennai city came together on Saturday (July 11) to spread awareness through a rally about the deadly coronavirus and precautionary measures to brave the disease.
The participants held the 'Avoid Fear: Corona Awareness Rally' to drive away health and safety messages in the city which is battered with over 74,000 active cases.
Accompanied by drummers and armed with placards and masks, the participants marched through city's Tondiarpet Nethaji Nagar market area and chanted slogans.
"We are distributing face masks and if anybody shows any symptoms of COVID-19 then we are sending them for tests," said a transgender activist.
India is the third worst-affected country in the world by the pandemic, with more than 800,000 cases. Most of the affected have been closed cluster areas in metro cities.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None