- Title: Russian city marches in support of detained regional governor
- Date: 11th July 2020
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) KOZHEMYAKIN SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) FURGAL'S LAWYER, BORIS KOZHEMYAKIN, SAYING: "The evidence provided by the investigators was ruled satisfactory. The evidence provided by the defence and our defendant was not fully taken into consideration. As you heard, the decision was made to hold (Furgal) in custody until September 9. We have the right to appeal for the next three days. (JOURNALIST ASKING OFF CAMERA: Will you appeal?). Undoubtedly." KOZHEMYAKIN SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) FURGAL'S LAWYER, BORIS KOZHEMYAKIN, SAYING: "People are talking about whether it was politically motivated or not. We're talking about actual facts, these accusations are about people being murdered, so it doesn't matter what opinions people have whether they be political or religious etc. The defense will not be built on politics, but on disproving the evidence presented and accusations because Sergei Ivanovich (Furgal) categorically rejects his involvement." CAMERA OPERATOR FILMING
- Embargoed: 25th July 2020 12:59
- Keywords: Khabarovsk governor Sergei Furgal protest
- Location: KHABAROVSK AND MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: KHABAROVSK AND MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMD7CJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands marched in Russia's far eastern city of Khabarovsk on Saturday (July 11) in support of its regional governor, who is being held in pre-trial detention after being charged with organizing the murder of several entrepreneurs 15 years ago.
Sergei Furgal, a member of the Liberal Democratic Party, was a popular governor of the Khabarovsk region where he swept to power in 2018 after defeating a rival from the ruling United Russia party that backs President Vladimir Putin.
Furgal was detained on Thursday (July 9) and taken to Moscow.
He could face up to life in prison if found guilty of the charges that include attempted murder. He denies the charges.
Video footage from news website DVHAB showed people chanting "Furgal is our choice," "Freedom" and marching with posters "I am/We are Sergei Furgal."
"Get out of here, Moscow," an unnamed female resident said in another video from the same website, which claimed the protest was the largest in Khabarovsk's history.
(Production: Yuri Zolotorev, Alexander Reshetnikov, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None