- Title: IMF head urges pandemic response that tackles climate crisis
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (RECENT - JUNE 28, 2020) (REUTERS - FILE) DRONE SHOT OF ''CAMPAMENTO DIGNIDAD'' (CAMP DIGNITY) PEOPLE IN CAMP TODDLER GRABBING BANANA PEOPLE AT CAMP BOYS BOXING AT CAMP
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 13:44
- Keywords: ILO IMF United Nations coronavirus economic crisis labour lockdown unemployment
- Location: HIALEAH, FLORIDA AND WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES / SANTIAGO, CHILE / BEIRUT LEBANON / COLOGNE AND BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: HIALEAH, FLORIDA AND WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES / SANTIAGO, CHILE / BEIRUT LEBANON / COLOGNE AND BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA005CLY9Z5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International Monetary Fund (IMF) Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva urged policymakers on Wednesday (July 8) to use their response to theÂ coronavirusÂ pandemic to tackle climate change.
"Looking ahead, policies should lay the foundation for a low-carbon, resilient recovery that would create millions of jobs while help address the climate crisis," she told an International Labour Organization virtual conference.
"We are especially concerned that the crisis will jeopardise the important development gains of the last years," she added.
TheÂ IMFÂ last month forecast a deeper global recession than initially anticipated. It now anticipates a global GDP contraction of 4.9% this year and a total output loss of $12 trillion through the end of 2021.
(Production: Cecile Mantovani)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None