- Title: South Koreans mourn the death of Seoul mayor
- Date: 11th July 2020
- Summary: MAN BURNING INCENSE AND PAYING SILENT PRAYER
- Embargoed: 25th July 2020 05:42
- Keywords: Park Won-soon Seoul Seoul City Mayor South Korea memorial altar mourners
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005CMD5OHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People lined up at a memorial altar in front of Seoul City Hall to pay tributes to late mayor Park Won-soon on Saturday (July 11) a day after he was found dead.
Park, one of South Korea's most prominent elected officials and mayor of the capital Seoul since 2011, was found dead early Friday (July 10) after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe and media reports of alleged sexual harassment.
As Seoul mayor since 2011, Park was instrumental in its response to the novel coronavirus. He also played a vocal role in big candlelight demonstrations that contributed to the ousting of former President Park Geun-hye in 2017.
An outspoken advocate of women's rights and gender equality, he was seen as a potential presidential hopeful for the liberals in elections scheduled for 2022.
(Production: Kim Hong-ji, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.