- Title: Crop circle appears in French field, draws visitors
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: VIMY, FRANCE (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF CROP CIRCLE IN FIELD OF WHEAT VIMY, FRANCE (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (French) CROP CIRCLE ENTHUSIAST, GENEVIEVE PIQUET, SAYING: "I have come a number of kilometres to come and see this crop circle because I've heard about them for years and I'd never seen them in real life, I really wanted there to be one in our region -- for the moment there hasn't been one closer. And I wanted to know what it felt like to be in the crop circle, in the part where the wheat is flattened. And I can feel a lot of energy in the bit where the wheat is flattened, stronger than in the surrounding fields. And I think there's something that humans aren't able to explain, we can't explain how they're made. I think there is maybe a higher intelligence which makes these crop circles." VIMY, FRANCE (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF CROP CIRCLE VIMY, FRANCE (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (French) CROP CIRCLE ENTHUSIAST, GENEVIEVE PIQUET, SAYING: "After looking up the Templars' cross on the internet, I really think it's a Templars' cross in the middle of the crop circle. And I think it's a message for all of the people who died in the wars -- hereabouts there are lots of people who died in the wars." VIMY, FRANCE (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) CROP CIRCLE / COUNTRYSIDE
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 13:28
- Keywords: France crop circle field visitors
- Location: VIMY, FRANCE
- City: VIMY, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMI643R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A crop circle was still attracting curious visitors on Saturday (July 11) almost a week after it appeared in a field in northern France.
The round pattern of flattened wheat showing a cross at the centre was spotted by a local farmer in Vimy on July 5 and has since brought enthusiasts rushing to the site, some of whom have travelled hundreds of kilometres.
Retired technology teacher Genevieve Piquet was among a dozen visitors walking in the field on Saturday afternoon and had come 70 km from Amiens to experience standing in a crop circle for the first time.
"I can feel a lot of energy in the bit where the wheat is flattened... I think there is maybe a higher intelligence which makes these crop circles," she told Reuters.
She said she believed the cross was a reference to the Knights Templar and to the area's turbulent past -- it was ravaged by fighting in World War One and Vimy contains a Canadian national war memorial.
The farmer who owns the field told local media he had been shocked by the interest in the crop circle, which he said has cost him 200 to 300 metres squared of wheat which was due to be harvested next week.
Some people believe that crop circles are made by aliens.
(Production: Pascal Rossignol, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None