- Title: Fans pray as coronavirus strikes Bollywood families
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF BOLLYWOOD ACTOR ANUPAM KHER HOUSE
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 14:14
- Keywords: Bachchan family Bollywood Bollywood stars struck by COVID-19 COVID-19 India coronavirus
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS, INDIA / INTERNET
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS, INDIA / INTERNET
- Country: India
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA007CMI7ARR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indians fans held Hindu prayer rituals on Sunday (July 12) after Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan and members of his family tested positive for COVID-19.
Three generations of the Bachchan family have been hit by the coronavirus as former Miss World Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and her daughter on Sunday joined her father-in-law Amitabh and husband Abhishek in testing positive for the virus.
It was not clear whether they had been admitted to hospital, as Amitabh, a legendary Indian actor, and Abhishek were on Saturday (July 11).
Hospital officials and government health authorities said earlier on Sunday that Amitabh and his son were in stable condition.
"We know he is a fighter," said one of Bachchan's fans who attended a prayer session in Kolkata, adding that "the entire world is praying for him."
Fellow Bollywood actor Anupam Kher announced in a Tweet on Sunday that his mother, brother, sister-in-law and niece had all tested positive for COVID-19.
India on Sunday registered a record increase in the number of coronavirus cases, taking the total number of affected people in the country to nearly 850,000, the world's third-highest, and prompting authorities to re-impose partial lockdowns in some densely populated areas.
Federal health ministry data showed that more than 27,100 new cases were reported in the previous 24 hours, while the death toll increased to 22,674, after 551 people succumbed in a day.
(Production: Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None