- Title: Indian film star Amitabh Bachchan, son in stable condition - health officials
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN AND OTHERS OUTSIDE RESIDENCE OF BOLLYWOOD STAR AMITABH BACHCHAN WHO HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 PLAQUE AT ENTRANCE OF BACHCHAN'S HOUSE READING (Hindi): "JALSA" (BIG GATHERING) HEALTH WORKERS FROM BRIHANMUMBAI MUNICIPAL CORPORATION, GOVERNING CIVIC BODY OF MUMBAI STANDING AT ENTRANCE WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS CAMERA OPERATORS FILMING AS OTHERS STAND HEALTH WORKERS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) HEALTH WORKER, BRIHANMUMBAI MUNICIPAL CORPORATION, GOVERNING CIVIC BODY OF MUMBAI, ANTONY, SAYING: "He (Amitabh Bachchan) has three bungalows and we are going to sanitise all three bungalows. We are also going to sanitise the houses in the neighbourhood so that they don't face any problems. We are a total of 18 people in our team and we will take about one hour to sanitise this house and so on. We were 15 people earlier, but we added three more as we had to sanitise the neighbouring houses as well." TRAFFIC OUTSIDE NANAVATI HOSPITAL WHERE BACHCHAN AND HIS SON ABHISHEK BACHCHAN ARE ADMITTED SIGNBOARD OUTSIDE HOSPITAL GUARDS STANDING AT ENTRY GATE SIGN READING (In English): "NANAVATI" VARIOUS CAMERAPERSONS AND OTHERS STANDING IN RAIN OUTSIDE HOSPITAL BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) FANS PERFORMING RITUALS AS THEY PRAY FOR BACHCAHN'S RECOVERY
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 08:10
- Keywords: Abhishek Amitabh Bachchan Bollywood COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic twitter
- Location: BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- City: BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA002CMI5H71
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India's most famous film star Amitabh Bachchan, and his son Abhishek, are in stable condition after testing positive for the coronavirus, a hospital official and government health authorities said on Sunday (July 12).
The 77-year-old legendary actor said in a tweet on Saturday (July 11) night that he had tested positive for the highly infectious virus.
Within minutes, his actor son Abhishek Bachchan, 44, tweeted that he had also tested positive.
Both were moved to the Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai despite showing only mild symptoms and the father-son duo appealed to their millions of fans to stay calm.
On Sunday, an official at Nanavati and government health officials in Mumbai said both the father and son were in stable condition. Reports were awaited on the condition of Amitabh Bachchan's wife Jaya and Abhishek's wife Aishwarya, both also highly regarded actors.
Meanwhile civic authorities launched a massive sanitising drill at Bachchan's upscale residence in Mumbai, spraying disinfectant in the large compound and on cars parked there.
A Bollywood legend, Amitabh Bachchan has been a prominent figure in the fight against the coronavirus by appearing in public service advertisements in which he urges people to wear a mask, wash hands frequently and maintain social distance in his trademark baritone.
India's film industry recently resumed film shoots after a months-long hiatus following the imposition of a nationwide lockdown in late March.
But actors over 65, such as Amitabh, are banned from the sets because of their vulnerability to the virus.
Coronavirus cases have been rising steadily in India. The disease has infected over 820,000 people and killed over 22,000 in the country, according to a Reuters tally.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None