- Title: India sees more local coronavirus lockdowns as cases exceed 820,000
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: NOIDA, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) BARRICADED ROAD SIGNBOARD READING (Hindi): "Welcome to Noida" VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICIALS CHECKING VEHICLES AS THEY GO THROUGH CHECK POINT (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) POLICE OFFICIAL, AMIT KUMAR, SAYING: "People who are carrying valid passes are allowed, or people who are travelling for medical purposes, medical staff and people providing essential services are allowed. People without passes are not allowed." VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF LARGELY DESERTED BANK OF RIVER GANGES VARIOUS OF ROADS WITH FEW CARS AND PEOPLE CIRCULATING FUEL STATION ALMOST EMPTY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT VEGETABLE MARKET (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) VEGETABLE VENDOR, DINESH KUMAR, SAYING: "The vegetable market is in a bad state. There is no one to buy vegetables due to the lockdown. The rotten vegetables are being thrown away and we are selling them at 1-2 ($0.01- 0.02) rupees per kilograms." CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EMPTY ROUNDABOUT TRAFFIC POLICE PERSONNEL CHECKING VEHICLES DESERTED MARKET AREA VEHICLES DRIVING BY TRAFFIC POLICE OFFICIAL VARIOUS OF BARRICADED EMPTY ROADS TRAFFIC POLICE OFFICIAL STOPPING VEHICLE BENGALURU, KARNATAKA, INDIA (JULY 12, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) FEW VEHICLES DRIVING ON ROAD SIGN ON BARRICADE READING (English): "Bangalore City Traffic Police" EMPTY MARKET AREA VARIOUS OF DESERTED BUS STATION
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 10:50
- Keywords: Bengaluru COVID-19 Coronavirus India Uttar Pradresh cases surge lockdown
- Location: NOIDA AND VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/ CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- City: NOIDA AND VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/ CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMI796V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Streets in several Indian cities were empty and barricaded on Sunday (July 12) as states imposed local lockdowns to control a spike in coronavirus cases.
Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state, declared on Friday (July 10) a two-day lockdown after witnessing a jump in the number of cases that surged to more than 35,000.
On Sunday, police officers were checking vehicles at the Delhi-Nodia border.
People without passes were not being allowed, according to police official Amit Kumar.
"People who are carrying valid passes are allowed, or people who are travelling for medical purposes, medical staff and people providing essential services are allowed." he said on Sunday.
Meanwhile, India's southern Tamil Nadu continued with the lockdown as the state is among one of the worst-hit with the deadly virus.
The local authorities in Bengaluru city have declared a week-long complete lockdown starting on Tuesday (July 14) in the wake of the rising cases.
India reported another record spike of 28,637 new Covid-19 infections on Sunday, as the virus continues to spread at a rapid pace.
The new cases pushed India's tally to 820,916 cases, the world's third-biggest outbreak, behind only the United States and Brazil in confirmed infections.
There have been more than 22,123 deaths in India since the first case was detected there in January.
(Production: ANI, Paul Warren, Gabriela Boccaccio)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None