- Title: Hindu devotees mark auspicious Monday in India amid coronavirus concerns
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 13, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF BOATS DOCKED AND PEOPLE AT RIVER BANK PEOPLE ON BOATS POLICE NEAR TEMPLE TEMPLE DEVOTEES WEARING MASKS IN QUEUES OUTSIDE TEMPLE MAN CHECKING BODY TEMPERATURE OF DEVOTEE BEFORE GOING IN DEVOTEES MOVING IN QUEUES POLICEMEN STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEVOTEE, MANOJ TRIPATHI, SAYING "I come here every Monday to pray and worship. I am feeling very sad that there is no crowd of devotees. Earlier, I think there used to be 150,000-200,000 devotees at temple on 'Shravan' month Mondays." MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 13, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF TEMPLE PRIEST PERFORMING RITUAL DEVOTEE BANGING GONG AS POLICEMAN PRAYS DEVOTEES PRAYING FROM OUTSIDE TEMPLE WOMAN AND POLICEMAN POURING WATER ON IDOL AS RITUAL (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) UNIDENTIFIED PRIEST, SAYING: "Devotees are worshipping and praying at home. I had told them earlier itself to water a sacred fig tree while taking the name of Lord Shiva. However, devotees still fold hands to pray from outside the temple, while passing by. Mostly people are staying home and worshipping." RITUALS INSIDE TEMPLE DEVOTEES PRAYING FROM OUTSIDE
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 06:38
- Keywords: Hindu India Monday coronavirus holy month religion temples
- Location: VARANASI, MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: VARANASI, MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMN6QTR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hindu devouts marked the second auspicious Monday of the holy month of 'Shravan' on July 13, amid coronavirus concerns.
At the famous Kashi Vishwanath Temple in India's spiritual capital of Varanasi, devotees had to undergo thermal screening before being allowed to enter temple and only a certain number of them were allowed to go inside.
In Meerut city near Delhi, devotees preferred to pray from outside the temple.
Many places in India observed local lockdowns as the number of cases continued to soar exponentially.
India reported 28,701 new COVID-19 cases and 500 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total positive cases stand at 8,78,254 including 301,609 active cases, 553,471 cured/discharged/migrated and 23,174 deaths.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None