- Title: Five years on from the Iranian nuclear deal
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: ISFAHAN, IRAN (FILE - MARCH 30, 2005) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AERIAL OF URANIUM CONVERSION FACILITY (UCF) IN ISFAHAN WORKER LOOKING AT MONITORS IN CONTROL ROOM CONTROL ROOM SCREENS CONTAINERS AND PIPES WORKER PULLING LEVER CONTAINERS AND PIPES ISFAHAN, IRAN (FILE - AUGUST 8, 2005) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY (IAEA) OFFICIAL SETTING UP MONITORING CAMERA VARIOUS BARREL OF YELLOW CAKE (URANIUM OXCIDE) BEING PUSHED ALONG FLOOR INTO ROOM/ WORKERS WITH YELLOW CAKE VARIOUS OF MEDIA AND WORKERS VIEWING MONITORS VIDEO MONITOR SHOWING BARREL OF YELLOW CAKE ISFAHAN, IRAN (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISFAHAN'S CONTROL ROOM/ENGINEER WORKING YELLOW CAKE INSIDE TANK VARIOUS OF INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY'S (IAEA) CAMERA AT WORK BUSHEHR, IRAN (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF REACTOR AT POWER PLANT IRANIAN FLAG BUSHEHR, IRAN (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RUSSIAN ENGINEERS WORKING INSIDE REACTOR AT POWER PLANT VARIOUS OF INTERIOR OF REACTOR AT POWER PLANT
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 07:55
- Keywords: Barack Obama Donald Trump decision Ernest Moniz Federica Mogherini Hassan Rouhani Iran Iran nuclear deal Javad Zarif John Kerry Lavrov Mohammad Javad Zarif Tanker US withdrawing from deal United Nations Zarif ali akbar salehi drone nuclear facilities sanctions on Iran test missiles
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMNTXZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: 14 JULY MARKS FIVE YEARS SINCE AGREEMENT REACHED WITH IRAN OVER ITS NUCLEAR ACTIVITIES
The Iran nuclear deal was left hanging by a thread in 2020 after Tehran announced it would abandon limitations on enriching uranium - a move Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas warned could be the beginning of the end of the nuclear accord.
The deal to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for economic sanctions relief was agreed in 2015 between Iran and six major world powers.
Iran had been expected to lay out its latest position on the deal earlier this year, but after the U.S. drone killing of top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani there was a major escalation of hostilities with Washington.
Tehran had already been overstepping limits on its nuclear activities in response to the U.S. withdrawal from the deal in 2018 and the subsequent reimposition of sanctions that have crippled Iran's oil trade.
European governments have sought to rescue the accord.
Tehran said it would continue to cooperate with the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog and said it can quickly reverse the steps it is taking if U.S. sanctions are removed.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None