- Title: Five years on from the Iranian nuclear deal
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on June 13, 2019, that the United States has assessed, based on intelligence, type of weapons used and level of expertise needed, that Iran is responsible for the attacks on tankers in the Gulf of Oman. WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 13, 2019) (STATE TV) (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, MIKE POMPEO, SAYING: "It is the assessment of the United States government that the Islamic Republic of Iran is responsible for the attacks that occurred in the Gulf of Oman today.
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 07:55
- Keywords: Barack Obama Donald Trump decision Ernest Moniz Federica Mogherini Hassan Rouhani Iran Iran nuclear deal Javad Zarif John Kerry Lavrov Mohammad Javad Zarif Tanker US withdrawing from deal United Nations Zarif ali akbar salehi drone nuclear facilities sanctions on Iran test missiles
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA015CMNTXZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: 14 JULY MARKS FIVE YEARS SINCE AGREEMENT REACHED WITH IRAN OVER ITS NUCLEAR ACTIVITIES
The Iran nuclear deal was left hanging by a thread in 2020 after Tehran announced it would abandon limitations on enriching uranium - a move Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas warned could be the beginning of the end of the nuclear accord.
The deal to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for economic sanctions relief was agreed in 2015 between Iran and six major world powers.
Iran had been expected to lay out its latest position on the deal earlier this year, but after the U.S. drone killing of top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani there was a major escalation of hostilities with Washington.
Tehran had already been overstepping limits on its nuclear activities in response to the U.S. withdrawal from the deal in 2018 and the subsequent reimposition of sanctions that have crippled Iran's oil trade.
European governments have sought to rescue the accord.
Tehran said it would continue to cooperate with the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog and said it can quickly reverse the steps it is taking if U.S. sanctions are removed.
- Copyright Holder: STATE DEPARTMENT TV
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None