- Title: Thousands protest in Kinshasa to reject electoral chief
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: KINSHASA, DRC (JULY 13, 2020) (REUTERS) BEMBA'S CAR ARRIVING AT PARTY BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (French) JEAN-PIERRE BEMBA, MLC PARTY LEADER, SAYING: "This was a protest march, by the population, peacefully, we want to say no to the fraudulent, non-consensual, non-transparent appointment of the CENI members." BEMBA WALKING UP STAIRS
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 17:43
- Keywords: CENI Joseph Kabila LAMUKA's Martin Fayulu MLC party leader Jean Pierre Bemba electoral commission chief Ronsard Malonda huge protest
- Location: KINSHASA, DRC
- City: KINSHASA, DRC
- Country: Congo, Democratic Republic of the
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMN7VWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Thousands of opposition activists marched across Democratic Republic of Congo's capital Kinshasa on Monday (July 13) in renewed protest against the nomination of the election commission's new head.
Demonstrators braved rain and a ban on protests because of the COVID-19 outbreak to voice their opposition to the proposed appointment of Ronsard Malonda as president of the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI).
Critics in Congo say Malonda is too close to former President Joseph Kabila, who still wields strong influence, and say his oversight of a contested 2018 election was problematic.
Police used tear gas to disperse crowds at another protest near parliament and in the east of the capital, where Jean-Pierre Bemba, a senior figure in the opposition party alliance of LAMUKA, led a march of thousands, a Reuters witness said.
At least three people died in nationwide protests over Malonda's appointment last week.
(Production: Benoit Nyemba, Yvonne Bell, Matthew Stock, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None