- Title: Swiss zoo welcomes new baby white rhino
- Date: 10th July 2020
- Summary: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (JULY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WHITE RHINO TANDA AND TWO-MONTH-OLD FEMALE CALF USHINDI AT LEW SAVANNE ENCLOSURE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ZOO ZURICH CURATOR, PASCAL MARTY, SAYING: "Her mother, Tanda, it's already her seventh baby now, so she's a very experienced and good mother. And especially with the white rhino, it's the first born in Zoo Zurich, we didn't have this species before." TANDA AND USHINDI NEXT TO ZEBRA VARIOUS OF TANDA DRINKING WATER TANDA AD USHINDI MOVING AWAY ZOO VISITORS ON BUS CHILDREN LOOKING AT RHINOS TANDA
- Embargoed: 24th July 2020 10:11
- Keywords: Swiss zoo baby rhino
- Location: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
- City: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM87IAH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Zurich Zoo on Thursday (July 9) presented its new baby white rhino to the public.
Ushindi is just over two months old, born to Tanda who had arrived pregnant from Israel recently. White rhinos are endangered in the wild, as poaching for their horn is the primary threat. They are particularly vulnerable to hunting, because it is a large and relatively unaggressive animal.
Zurich Zoo is also host to a female Siberian tiger that attacked and killed a 55-year-old zookeeper at Zurich's zoo earlier in July. Circumstances of the attack were still under investigation.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None