- Title: Police control Mallorca's hedonistic party spots over coronavirus measures
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: MAGALUF, SPAIN (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF LOCAL POLICE PATROLLING PUNTA BALLENA STREET, FAMOUS STREET IN MAGALUF'S NIGHTLIFE POLICE IDENTIFYING TOURISTS POLICE FRISKING TOURIST POLICE VEHICLE DRIVING BY SOME BARS CLOSED AND OTHER OPEN, TOURISTS NOT WEARING MASK ON THE STREET POLICE PATROLLING POLICE CONTROLLING BARS, TOURISTS NOT WEARING MASK OUTSIDE BAR CLOSED BARS POLICE CONTROLLING AREA CLOSED BARS
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 09:24
- Keywords: Magaluf Mallorca Spain coronavirus pandemic tourism virus
- Location: MAGALUF, MALLORCA, SPAIN
- City: MAGALUF, MALLORCA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMI7L1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police controlled on Saturday (July 11) Magaluf's nightlife on the Spain's island of Mallorca, famous party spot for international tourists, amid coronavirus crisis.
Local police patrolled the streets where tourists normally crowd the pubs, controlling the capacity and closing time.
Majority of tourists were seen not using mask to prevent the virus spread.
Mallorca was the first to reopen to international tourists seeking sun, sea and parties in Spain, but the coronavirus pandemic has dampened business.
Most bars were shuttered on Saturday night with just over a quarter of bars and pubs opened, Reuters TV footage showed.
Tourism all but shut down in Spain in March because of the COVID-19 and is only slowly resuming.
Regional Health government reported on Friday (July 10) there are 134 active cases of COVID-19 in the Balearic Islands. Sixteen people are hospitalized in Mallorca, 6 of them in intensive care units.
(Enrique Calvo, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None