- Title: On its fifth anniversary, the Iran nuclear deal hangs by a thread.
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: U.S. Iran envoy Brian Hook said on Monday (June 29) that an Iranian arrest warrant for President Donald Trump and 35 others over the killing of top general Qassem Soleimani was a "propaganda stunt". RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (JUNE 29, 2020) (REUTERS) U.S. IRAN ENVOY BRIAN AND SAUDI ARABIA'S MINISTER OF STATE FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS ADEL AL-JUBEIR STANDING / JOURNALIST ASKING (English): "Iran just issued 36 arrest warrants for President Trump and others over the killing of (Qassem) Soleimani and asked INTERPOL for red notices to be sent out on them, what do you think." (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S IRAN ENVOY, BRIAN HOOK, SAYING: "It doesn't surprise us, it's the kind of propaganda that I think we're certainly used to. INTERPOL in our assessment is that INTERPOL does not intervene and issue red notices that are based on political nature and this is a political nature, this has nothing to do with national security, international peace or promoting stability, and so we see it for what it is, it's a propaganda stunt that no-one takes seriously and makes the Iranians look foolish."
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 11:36
- Keywords: 2015 arms control agreement IAEA Iran enriching uranium Iran nuclear deal JCPOA Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA019CMNYZPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE SEE 0112-IRAN-NUCLEAR/TIMELINE-2019 and 0104-IRAN-NUCLEAR/TIMELINE 2015-2019 FOR ADDITIONAL TIMELINES ON THE NUCLEAR DEAL
EDITORS NOTE: 14 JULY MARKS FIVE YEARS SINCE AGREEMENT REACHED WITH IRAN OVER ITS NUCLEAR ACTIVITIES
The Iran nuclear deal was left hanging by a thread in 2020 after Tehran announced it would abandon limitations on enriching uranium - a move Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas warned could be the beginning of the end of the nuclear accord.
The deal to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for economic sanctions relief was agreed on July 14, 2015, between Iran and six major world powers.
Iran had been expected to lay out its latest position on the deal earlier this year, but after the U.S. drone killing of top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani there was a major escalation of hostilities with Washington.
Tehran had already been overstepping limits on its nuclear activities in response to the U.S. withdrawal from the deal in 2018 and the subsequent reimposition of sanctions that have crippled Iran's oil trade.
European governments have sought to rescue the accord.
Tehran said it would continue to cooperate with the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog and said it can quickly reverse the steps it is taking if U.S. sanctions are removed.
On June 4 Iran freed US Navy vetran Michael White, who had been detained since 2018, as part of a deal in which the United States allowed Iranian-American physician Majid Taheri to visit Iran.
The prisoner swap was a rare instance of U.S.-Iranian cooperation, but a top Iranian security official denied that negotiations with Washington had taken place.
Iran issued an arrest warrant for U.S. President Donald Trump and 35 others over the killing of top general Qassem Soleimani on June 29, and has asked Interpol for help
Dismissed as a "propaganda stunt" by US Iran envoy Brian Hook, Iran said would continue to pursue the matter after Trump left office.
(Production: Hanna Rantala, Helena Williams, Martin Veal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None