- Title: Protesters demanding Netanyahu's resignation scuffle with police
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 14, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS TRYING TO PUSH THROUGH POLICE BARRIERS DURING DEMONSTRATION OUTSIDE ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU'S RESIDENCE IN JERUSALEM SCUFFLES BETWEEN POLICE AND PROTESTERS ISRAELI POLICE TRYING TO PUSH BACK PROTESTERS PROTESTERS CHANTING, HOLDING TORCHES AND SIGNS VARIOUS OF PROTEST PROTESTERS TRYING TO PUSH THROUGH POLICE BARRIERS POLICE OFFICER WALKING BETWEEN CROWD AND BARRIERS PROTESTERS CARRYING TORCHES PHOTO OF NETANYAHU DRESSED AS A NOBEL AS SEEN THROUGH FIRE FROM TORCHES CROWD CHANTING 'BIBI (NETANYAHU'S NICKNAME) QUIT' PROTESTERS HANDING FLOWERS TO POLICEMEN POLICEMEN DRAGGING PROTESTER AWAY POLICEMEN WITH DETAINED PROTESTER PROTESTERS CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, ISHAY GREEN, SAYING: "My name is Ishay Green and I'm a hi-tech entrepreneur and I quit my job and now I'm dedicated to fix what is wrong with this country. And what is wrong with the country right now is our prime minister and I'm not talking about the allegations, I'm not talking about anything, he's just... everything is falling apart. We're talking about every sector of the country is just falling apart because this guy is a very bad manager." PROTESTERS DANCING, PROTESTER WEARING A PIG MASK DANCING MAN BLOWING A VUVUZELA PROTESTER WEARING A FACE MASK HOLDING A SIGN READING (English) "COVID-19, DICTATORSHIP-20" BOY PLAYING TRUMPET
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 21:27
- Keywords: Israel Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu coronavirus coronavirus related economic crisis protest
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMS94QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Israelis protested outside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's residence in Jerusalem on Tuesday (July 14), demanding his resignation over what they say has been an inept government response to the coronavirus crisis as well as his corruption trial.
Protesters wearing face masks carried torches, Israeli flags and banners whilst chanting 'Bibi go home' and 'Money, power, the world of crime', referring to Netanyahu's charges in three cases that include bribery, breach of trust, and fraud.
Netanyahu has denied any wrongdoing and his trial is due to resume on Sunday, July 19.
Israeli media said thousands attended the rally. No official figure for the number of protesters has been released.
Alarmed by a new spike in COVID-19 cases which surged after the economy began reopening, Netanyahu last week reimposed a series of restrictions in a bid to contain infections, shutting down a slew of businesses again.
In the past few weeks, protesters from across the political spectrum have taken to the streets with demands for speedier compensation from the coalition government, which they see as overstaffed and ineffectual.
"What's wrong with the country right now is our prime minister," said hi-tech entrepreneur Ishay Green who said he had quit his job to 'fix what's wrong' with Israel. "Everything is falling apart. We're talking about every sector of the country is just falling apart because this guy is a very bad manager."
(Production: Dedi Hayun, Eli Berlzon, Ilan Rosenberg, Lianne Back)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None