- Title: Memorial service held for Ukrainian soldier killed in eastern conflict
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: NEAR ZAITSEVE, UKRAINE (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** UKRAINIAN SOLDIER HIDING IN TRENCH, LOOKING THROUGH HOLE AND SWEARING/ AUDIBLE GUNFIRE VARIOUS OF UKRAINIAN SOLDIER FIRING MACHINE GUN FROM BEHIND BARRICADES PLUME OF SMOKE BILLOWING OVER BARREL OF GUN SOLDIER LOADING MACHINE GUN NEAR ZOLOTE, UKRAINE (JULY 5, 2020) (REUTERS) SOLDIER FIRING MACHINE GUN FROM TRENCH EMPTY BULLET SHELLS FALLING ON GROUND SOLDIER IN TRENCH VARIOUS OF SOLDIER FIRING MACHINE GUN FROM BEHIND BARRICADES VARIOUS OF SOLDIER FIRING MACHINE GUN, SWEARING SOLDIER SEEN THROUGH CAMOUFLAGE NET SOLDIER SITTING IN TRENCH SOLDIER FIRING
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 11:51
- Keywords: Donetsk and Luhansk regions Kyiv Ukraine eastern conflict final farewell funeral killed Ukrainian soldier pro-Russian separatists separatist conflict
- Location: KYIV, NEAR ZAITSEVE AND NEAR ZOLOTE, UKRAINE
- City: KYIV, NEAR ZAITSEVE AND NEAR ZOLOTE, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA007CMS74U1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE IN SHOT 21.
Mourners in Kyiv paid tribute on Tuesday (July 14) to a soldier killed in eastern Ukraine, where the conflict that started in 2014 continues despite a notional ceasefire.
Junior lieutenant Taras Matviyiv, 31, who died in a shelling on June 10, was among five soldiers killed in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in the first two weeks of July. Ukraine's military reported 26 injured during the same period.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy came to power last year promising to end the conflict between government forces and pro-Russian separatists which has claimed more than 13,000 lives.
Since then, Ukraine and Russia have implemented some confidence-building measures, including prisoner swaps and phased troop withdrawals in designated areas of both regions.
Although the fighting is less intense, shelling and shooting continues on the contact line with the two sides trading blame.
(Production: Sergiy Karazy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Anatoliy Stepanov)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None