- Title: Memorial service held for Ukrainian soldier killed in eastern conflict
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN SERVICEMAN WHO SAW TARAS MATVIYIV ON DAY BEFORE HIS DEATH, DZHEMIL IZMAYILOV, SAYING: "A ceasefire is important when it is fulfilled by both sides. Then we can talk about something. But when someone does not stick to it, then there is nothing to talk about. Of course, everyone wants peace. A person who does not want peace is a mad person. But the question is what is the price for peace." (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) MILITARY INSTRUCTOR, SERHII (NO SURNAME GIVEN), SAYING: "Taras was a man who always cared about things. He was always interested in important topics and issues. He was a true patriot."
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 11:51
- Keywords: Donetsk and Luhansk regions Kyiv Ukraine eastern conflict final farewell funeral killed Ukrainian soldier pro-Russian separatists separatist conflict
- Location: KYIV, NEAR ZAITSEVE AND NEAR ZOLOTE, UKRAINE
- City: KYIV, NEAR ZAITSEVE AND NEAR ZOLOTE, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA005CMS74U1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE IN SHOT 21.
Mourners in Kyiv paid tribute on Tuesday (July 14) to a soldier killed in eastern Ukraine, where the conflict that started in 2014 continues despite a notional ceasefire.
Junior lieutenant Taras Matviyiv, 31, who died in a shelling on June 10, was among five soldiers killed in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in the first two weeks of July. Ukraine's military reported 26 injured during the same period.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy came to power last year promising to end the conflict between government forces and pro-Russian separatists which has claimed more than 13,000 lives.
Since then, Ukraine and Russia have implemented some confidence-building measures, including prisoner swaps and phased troop withdrawals in designated areas of both regions.
Although the fighting is less intense, shelling and shooting continues on the contact line with the two sides trading blame.
(Production: Sergiy Karazy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Anatoliy Stepanov)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None