- Title: John Browne steps down as Huawei UK chairman ahead of government ban
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - APRIL 26, 2005) (REUTERS) ***WARNING:CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) BP CHIEF EXECUTIVE JOHN BROWNE, SAYING: "What you see from BP is not just about the oil price. If it were, then you'd expect that as the percentage change in oil price was 30 percent, our profits would go up 30 percent. Actually they've gone up rather more than that. So it demonstrates that we are doing something beyond, as it were, receiving an oil price." CEYHAN, TURKEY (FILE - JULY 13, 2006) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF CEYHAN OIL PIPELINE OPENING CEREMONY BY PRESIDENT OF TURKEY AHMET NECDET SEZER, PRESIDENT OF AZERBAIJAN ILHAM ALIYEV, PRESIDENT OF GEORGIA MIKHEIL SAAKASHVILI AND TURKISH PRIME MINISTER RECEP TAYYIP ERDOGAN AND THEN GENERAL DIRECTOR OF BP, LORD BROWNE
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 11:02
- Keywords: Huawei Huawei UK chairman Lord Browne chairman quits
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMS82TJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former BP chief John Browne is stepping down as chairman of Huawei's UK operation ahead of the British government banning the Chinese company from the country's 5G networks later on Tuesday (July 14).
"When Lord Browne became chairman of Huawei UK's board of directors in 2015, he brought with him a wealth of experience which has proved vital in ensuring Huawei's commitment to corporate governance in the UK," a Huawei spokesperson said.
"He has been central to our commitment here dating back 20 years, and we thank him for his valuable contribution."
Sky News, which first reported the news, said Browne had given notice in the last few days that he would step down from the board of Huawei UK in September, six months earlier than his tenure was due to end.
(Production: Vanessa Romeo, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None