- Title: John Browne steps down as Huawei UK chairman ahead of government ban
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (FILE - JUNE 1, 2019) (REUTERS) HUAWEI BOOTH AT THAILAND MOBILE EXPO VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN HUAWEI BOOTH TRYING OUT PRODUCTS
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 11:02
- Keywords: Huawei Huawei UK chairman Lord Browne chairman quits
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMS82TJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former BP chief John Browne is stepping down as chairman of Huawei's UK operation ahead of the British government banning the Chinese company from the country's 5G networks later on Tuesday (July 14).
"When Lord Browne became chairman of Huawei UK's board of directors in 2015, he brought with him a wealth of experience which has proved vital in ensuring Huawei's commitment to corporate governance in the UK," a Huawei spokesperson said.
"He has been central to our commitment here dating back 20 years, and we thank him for his valuable contribution."
Sky News, which first reported the news, said Browne had given notice in the last few days that he would step down from the board of Huawei UK in September, six months earlier than his tenure was due to end.
(Production: Vanessa Romeo, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None