- Title: Egyptian pipeline fire injures 17
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (JULY 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BURNED CARS AT SCENE WHERE FIRE BROKE OUT AFTER OIL LEAK FROM PIPELINE MEMBERS OF CIVIL DEFENSE WALKING PAST BURNED CARS / AMBULANCES SEEN IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF BURNED CARS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAN WHOSE BROTHER WITNESSED THE FIRE, ALI AHMED ZAYED, SAYING: "My son called me while I was at work and told me that my brother had been in an accident, and that his car was burned down near al-Salam (neighbourhood). We rushed here and he was in al-Shorouk police station filing a report, and here is the car as you can see." AMBULANCES AND FIRE ENGINES AT SCENE BURNED CARS PEOPLE SEEN THROUGH WINDOW OF BURNED CAR (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAN WHOSE BROTHER WITNESSED THE FIRE, ALI AHMED ZAYED, SAYING: "He (referring to his brother) told me that he found all the cars in front of him and behind him on fire, he left the car and ran just before it exploded." JOURNALIST ASKING: "How is his health condition?" "He is fine. He left the car right before it exploded." PEOPLE NEXT TO BURNED CARS LOOKING AT THE SCENE OF THE FIRE AMBULANCES DRIVING PAST
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 21:47
- Keywords: Cairo Egypt Egypt pipeline fire Egyptâ€™s Shuqair-Mostorod crude oil pipeline pipeline fire injures at least 17
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMS9I6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A major fire broke out after a leak of oil from the Shuqair-Mostorod pipeline next to a busy highway in a Cairo suburb on Tuesday (July 14) and 17 people were injured, authorities said.
The pipeline runs along a motorway on the outskirts of the capital and a spark caused by passing cars ignited crude that was leaking from the pipe, the petroleum ministry said.
The pipeline's valves were immediately closed in the area of the blaze and the flames were brought under control, it added in a statement.
A witness at the scene said about two dozen cars were torched, apparently abandoned by motorists. A video posted online showed two residents pulling an injured person away from the highway while thick plumes of smoked billowed skyward.
There was no immediate word from authorities on why the pipeline had leaked. The state prosecutor has dispatched a team to investigate, a statement said.
The crude pipeline runs from the Red Sea oil port of Shuqair to the refinery complex of Mostorod in Greater Cairo.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Mai Shams El-Din)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None